After much procrastinating, grumbling and self-loathing, I have come to the conclusion that I need to lose weight and get healthy. The catalyst for this decision came when I got on the scales after a big weekend and discovered I'd gained weight (yet again), pushing my score on the BMI (body mass index) up to 30.1 and into the "obesity" ranks. Personally I think the BMI is a load of rubbish, because I am far from obese! I think the weight loss industry invented the BMI to convince people they need to lose weight and subsequently, buy their products! But anyway, it was enough to spur me into action. So I looked online at Lite'n'Easy, Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers (see????) and had a total what the eff moment at the costs involved. I walked away from the computer pondering what I should do. Most people probably think it's simple: Eat Healthy, Exercise. Not for me, I am the master procrastinator when it comes to exercise and I love my big carb-loaded dinners, not to mention all the snacking on dairy and sugary crap through the day. I realised that Lite'n'Easy was a stupid idea to begin with, because I love cooking and I am not only feeding myself, but my family as well, so, just not practical really. I asked myself, "What is it about Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers that works?" A calorie controlled diet, a food diary, support and encouragement. I got back online and found MyFitnessPal - a calorie counter, exercise log and food diary, with a facebookesque profile page where I can post pictures and list my goals and inspirations. I can also add friends for support and encouragement. And best of all, it's free! I am 84 kilograms at present, my long term goal is to get back to 65 kilograms, which is where I was pre Puddleduck and Porkchop. For the short term, I aim to be 80 kg in 5 weeks time. So far, so good on the calorie counter. I admit, I am only on day three, but I am determined. I am going to get back to "me". On the exercise front, I did Zumba last night for the first time in my life. It was insane. It is very high-energy and, at times, I felt as uncoordinated as a Labrador puppy, but I loved it! And I burned about 600 calories. I was speaking to one of the instructors afterwards and she said that once you start to get the hang of it and learn the moves you can burn around 1000! So Zumba is going to become a regular part of my mission. I also spoke to the other instructor about the BMI thing and she confirmed my suspicions. She is "overweight" according to the BMI. I was stunned, she looks like this amazing pocket-rocket bundle of energy and health! So, just proves my point! I have decided that if I reach my long term goal of 65 kg, I am going to reward myself with the gorgeous bombshell swimming costume I have been eying on www.pinupgirlclothing.com, as shown below.

The other thing I am going to have to do is rethink my alcohol consumption, beer in particular. If I was to continue drinking beer the way I do, I'd be negating all my hard work at least twice a week. So I've decided I am going to switch to vodka and soda if I want to have a big night. One 30ml nip of vodka with soda water contains 60 calories, compared to a Carlton Draught beer with 139. Bit of a difference. I'm also going to have to grossly curb my sugar consumption. In all key areas of my food diary, so far, everything has been below par - except the sugar. Which is a worry because diabetes runs in my family. Time to go sugar-free everything me thinks. So anyway, I've probably bored quite a few people to tears with this latest blog, I'm sure I can hear the snoring from here. All I ask is that you wish me luck.
Good Luck!! I know you can do it... Put those swimmers photos up on the fridge for extra motivation. If you have a craving for something - eat a small amount of it and savour the taste. Don't deprive yourself, because that leads to binging. If you like you can inform me of your weekly progress, and I will provide you with words of support and encouragement. You are gorgeous as are, but if it will make you feel better within yourself, then I wish you every success!! Christa xoxox
ReplyDelete